SMP CLASS OF 2019
Applications for the SMP class beginning August 2018 are now being accepted
The application deadline is May 20th, 2018.
We have rolling admissions, and suggest you apply early
Applying to The Special Master's Program
To apply for the Special Master's Program, you must submit an on-line Graduate School application form, as well as the following credentials and Supplemental Data. Please read the instruction below prior to starting your on-line application!
Please allow 4-6 weeks for initial application processing. During this time queries can be addressed to: email@example.com. When the SMP receives your completed file, we will send you an email confirmation that your file is under review. After this time, please address your question to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We will start reviewing completed applications starting in October, so decisions will start going out soon, thereafter. We encourage you to complete your application in a timely manner, so it is ready for review.
- When your file is complete and going to the reviewers, and you have a future MCAT score coming, we will review your file, and will hold making a final decision until the new MCAT comes (If you generate a score report you can email us the verification code so we can access the new scores immediately). The latest test dates accepted are in June, so we can receive the score in July. However, May 24, 2018 is the preferred last date to take the MCAT (if waiting for acceptance).
- Upon completion of the first review, if your application is accepted or placed on the waitlist, you will immediately receive an email. Please see the links for what to do if you are accepted or on the waitlist. If your application is denied you will receive a letter from the graduate school.
- Applications must be received by May 20th, 2018 to be in consideration for the fall class-- supporting materials may be received after this date, but we recommend that they arrive ASAP. Due to the competitive applicant pool and rolling admissions, we recommend early application.
You must complete steps 1-5 below. Please note that step 5, Supplemental Information, requires that you complete EITHER Option A OR Option B, but not both.
- Application fee: SMP applications are only accepted On-line. Total fee = $140.00
The fee is payable online by credit card or electronic check.
- Mail official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities you have ever attended, including summer courses. Official transcripts must be sent to the address at the bottom of the page (Biomedical Graduate Education Office). If your school provides official electronic transcripts, they can be emailed to email@example.com. Offical e-transcripts only.
- Official MCAT scores or GRE Scores
Please release your MCAT scores to the SMP. You may do so at any time via MCAT's on-line score release, MCAT Testing History (THx) Reporting System. Please select "send all of my scores" to " Other Schools and Programs". The SMP is listed as "Georgetown Master's Program Department of Physiology & Biophysics". You may include a hardcopy of your THx score report or the verification code with your supplemental materials to facilitate processing. If your MCAT scores are reported on an attached AMCAS report or score report, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org letting us know so that they can be applied to your application.
Please request an official copy of your GRE score(s) using Georgetown University's GRE Code R5244. SMP does not have a departmental code, so leave it blank. PLEASE email email@example.com to let them know the score is coming.
- Letters of Recommendation We require a minimum of 3 letters of recommendation, OR you may use your Pre-Health Advisor's composite letter. Your current letters used for medical school are acceptable. At least 2 letters should be from professors in science courses. Please follow the on-line application instructions for submitting electronically. If you have a composite or committee letter:
1) Please click on the "Composite Recommendation Packet" option in the Special Master's section of the on-line application.
2) Enter a name and email address of the contact at your advising office.
3) When the advising office receives the email request to upload a letter, they can do so. If they are unable to upload the packet, they should delete the email and mail the hard copies to US at the address below.
Please see FAQ for information on Interfolio
- Supplemental Information: In addition to the Graduate School application, please choose Option A or Option B.
Option A: Upload a copy of your most recent AMCAS/AACOMAS application in the AMCAS section of the on-line application. In the Personal Statement section of the Graduate School application, upload a document that reads, "see AMCAS/AACOMAS statement". A seperate personal statement is not required. Your AMCAS/AACOMAS personal statement will suffice. DO NOT mail a hard copy of the AMCAS/AACOMAS. You may type, "see AMCAS/AACOMAS" in the Academic Awards, Honors, Scholarships, Work Experience and Publication sections of the on-line application if they are covered in your AMCAS/AACOMAS app. If you have any updates to your AMCAS/AACOMAS application, you may create a document titled "updated information" and upload it in the resume section of the online application (a resume is not required).
Option B: If you do not have an AMCAS application, please upload a typed response to the following questions in the AMCAS section of the on-line application. Some of this information is also requested on the on-line application-- you may type, "see supplemental info", in the duplicate sections of the on-line application.
- Contact Information: Please state your current postal address, telephone number, and E-mail address.
- Undergraduate GPA: Please calculate your cumulative GPA for science courses (biology, chemistry, physics, and math) and your cumulative GPA for all courses taken as an undergraduate. Please list both calculated GPA's.
- Post-Secondary Honors/Awards: Please write a brief summary of your post secondary honors and awards. List in chronological order.
- Extra-Curricular & Avocational Activities: Please summarize your extra-curricular and avocational activities, particularly those relevant to a graduate career, listed in chronological order. Include clubs you have belonged to, sports and intramural teams, etc.
- Post-Secondary Volunteer, Part-Time & Full Time Employment: Please write a brief summary of your post-secondary employment history, both paid and volunteer, listed in chronological order.
- Parents' Education/Occupation: Please provide your parents' names, occupations, and their highest level of education.
- Institutional Actions on Academic Record/Misdemeanors/Felonies: Please state "None", or list any actions and explain. Regarding misdemeanors, moving traffic violations (speeding, accidents) are considered misdemeanors in many states. If you have a ticket(s), please check whether it is listed as a misdemeanor in the jurisdiction where you received the ticket. Also, if you have a pending court case, please mark that down on the SMP application, so we can advise you. (Note: if you have a court case during the year, and you are found guilty of a misdemeanor, you have to inform all the medical schools you applied to within 10 days of the judgement. Failure to do so can result in rescinding of acceptance.) If you have additional questions about IAs, etc, please contact an advisor at AMCAS.
- Personal statement - your personal statement can be uploaded in the personal statement section of the online application. No need to include it in option B. It should read like an AMCAS personal statement and reflect your motivation for medicine.
Transcripts and any other hard copy documents that could not be uploaded to the online application can be mailed to the following address:
Georgetown Biomedical Grad Ed.
SE108-A Medical-Dental Building
3900 Reservoir Road, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20057-1411
IMPORTANT: *DO NOT* send hard copy supporting documents to any other address.
The Office of Biomedical Graduate Education has 2 scholarships available for consideration. Hoyas for Science and DC/MD/VA. Scholarship applications for these 2 awards are due 2 weeks after SUBMITTING the online application.
Hoyas for Science (20% of tuition costs) - open to anyone who can uniquely contribute to the diversity of the BGE community. See the factors considered here: https://biomedicalprograms.georgetown.edu/admissions/scholarships/hfs
DC/MD/VA ($10,000 ($5k/semester)) - https://biomedicalprograms.georgetown.edu/admissions/scholarships/dmv