SMP Class of 2014
Applications are OPEN for the SMP class begining in August, 2013
We have rolling admissions, so we encourage early application
The application deadline is May 15, 2013
(Supporting material may be received after May 15th)
Applying to The Special Master's Program
To apply for the Special Master's Program, you must submit an on-line Graduate School application form, as well as the following credentials and Supplemental Data. Please read the instruction below prior to starting your on-line application!
Please allow 4-6 weeks for initial application processing. During this time queries can be addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org. When the SMP receives your completed file, we will send you an email confirmation. After this time, please address your question to email@example.com.
- The application webpage is active. Completed ON-LINE applications and supplemental data are now being accepted for the class beginning August, 2013.
- Due to migration of a new information system, your file will not be reviewed until January. However, we encourage you to complete your application in a timely manner, so it is ready for review.
- When your file is complete and going to the reviewers, you will future MCAT score, we will review your file, and will hold it until the new MCAT comes (If you generate a score report you can email us the verification code so we can access the new scores immediately). The latest test dates accepted are in June, so we can receive the score in July.
- Upon completion of the first review, if your application is accepted or placed on the waitlist, you will immediately receive an email. Please see the links for what to do if you are accepted or on the waitlist. If your application is denied you will receive a letter from the graduate school.
Applications must be received by May 15, 2013 to be in consideration for the fall class-- supporting materials may be received after this date, but we recommend that they arrive ASAP. Due to the competitive applicant pool and rolling admissions, we recommend early application.
You must complete steps 1-5 below. Please note that step 5, Supplemental Data, requires that you complete EITHER Option A OR Option B, but not both.
- Application fee: SMP applications are only accepted On-line. Total fee = $130.00
- The fee is payable online by credit card or electronic check.
Provide official transcripts from ALL colleges and universities you have ever attended, including summer courses. You do not need to upload a self-reported transcript, however an official HARDCOPY (not virtual) transcript must be sent to the address at the bottom of the page (Biomedical Graduate Education Office).
- Official MCAT scores or GRE Scores
Please release your MCAT scores to the SMP. You may do so at any time via MCAT's on-line score release, MCAT Testing History (THx) Reporting System. Please select "send all of my scores" to " Other Schools and Programs". The SMP is listed as "Georgetown Master's Program Department of Physiology & Biophysics". You may include a hardcopy of your THx score report or the verification code with your supplemental materials to facilitate processing.
Please request an official copy of your GRE score(s) using Georgetown University's GRE Code R5244. SMP does not have a departmental code, so leave it blank.
- Letters of Recommendation We require a minimum of 3 letters of recommendation, OR you may use your Pre-Health Advisor's composite letter. Your current letters used for medical school are acceptable. At least 2 letters should be from professors-- one of these should be from a science course. Please follow the on-line application instructions for submitting electronically. If you have a composite or committee letter:
1) Please click on the "Composite Recommendation Packet" option in the Special Master's section of the on-line application.
2) Enter a name and email address of the contact at your advising office.
3) When the advising office receives the email request to upload a letter, they can do so. If they are unable to upload the packet, they should delete the email and mail the hard copies to US at the address below.
Please see FAQ for information on Interfolio
- Supplemental Data: In addition to the Graduate School application, the following supplemental materials are required to complete your application. Please make sure to identify each page of your Supplemental Materials with your name and the semester to which you are applying (e.g. Fall 2013). You must complete either Option A or Option B (see below).
Option A: Upload a copy of your most recent AMCAS application in the Special Master's section of the on-line application. In the Personal Statement section of the Graduate School application, upload a document that reads, "see AMCAS statement". DO NOT mail a hard copy of the AMCAS. You may type, "see AMCAS" in the Academic Awards, Honors, Scholarships, Work Experience and Publication sections of the on-line application if they are covered in your AMCAS.
Option B: If you do not have an AMCAS application, please upload a typed response to the following questions in the "Supplemental Data" section of the on-line application. Some of this information is also requested on the on-line application-- you may type, "see Supplemental Data", in the duplicate sections of the on-line application.
- Contact Information: Please state your current postal address, telephone number, and E-mail address.
- Undergraduate GPA: Please calculate your cumulative GPA for science courses (biology, chemistry, physics, and math) and your cumulative GPA for all courses taken as an undergraduate. Please list both calculated GPA's.
- Post-Secondary Honors/Awards: Please write a brief summary of your post secondary honors and awards. List in chronological order.
- Extra-Curricular & Avocational Activities: Please summarize your extra-curricular and avocational activities, particularly those relevant to a graduate career, listed in chronological order. Include clubs you have belonged to, sports and intramural teams, etc.
- Post-Secondary Volunteer, Part-Time & Full Time Employment: Please write a brief summary of your post-secondary employment history, both paid and volunteer, listed in chronological order.
- Parents' Education/Occupation: Please provide your parents' names, occupations, and their highest level of education.
- Institutional Actions on Academic Record/Misdemeanors/Felonies: Please state "None", or list any actions and explain.
- Personal Statement: Please write a brief 500 word essay (one page maximum), describing yourself, your educational goals and interests, your motivation for a medical career. Please upload this statement in the appropriate section of on-line application.
If I have additional documents that were not uploaded, where should I send them?
Hard copy documents should be submitted in a single packet, to the extent possible, to avoid processing delays:
Office of Biomedical Graduate Education
Attn: M.S. Credentials - SMP
NE303 Medical-Dental Building
3900 Reservoir Road, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20057-1411
IMPORTANT: *DO NOT* send hard copy supporting documents to any other address.